Saturday, February 28, 2009

Follow Your Dreams

Good Evening!

I promised you a blog entry on how God has worked things out in my life. In the previous blog entry I asked "Has death ever threatened your dreams?" My answer is " Yes! But God!" I also said there is a testimony in every test! And here is my testimony.
When I graduated high school, I went straight into college. I attended the University of Texas at Arlington and did well in my core courses. But I really didn't know what I wanted to major in. I'd chosen Accounting, but not really knowing what I wanted to do. I just picked it because a cousin of mine had studied it. And I stuck with it as long as I could--but failing class after class until I was placed on academic suspension. I didn't have the sense to just change my major to something I liked and could handle.
Well, fast forward a few years. After I stopped attending UTA I worked full-time--I mean what else was there? A few years into that I found myself with child. I gave birth to my son--all the time holding on to the dream that one day I would finish the degree I started a few years before. Well, a few years turned in to many years. I tried going back to school when my son was a toddler, then again while he was in elementary school, but neither time worked. I was working full time during the day, and my son needed me at home at night. But I didn't give up--I still held fast to the dream and prayed. At times, it seemed I wouldn't ever have a chance. At other times, I was hopeful. God gave me a dream. He gave me a desire to finish my degree.
Forward again to 2005. My son was in high school, becoming more self-reliable and independent. So, I decided to try it again. I decided to enroll at Tarrant County College and finish my science requirements, take a couple of electives and even took a Sociology class--just to see if I'd like it...and fell in love. I'd found my niche.
My sociology professor suggested to the class that we take other sociology classes and even transfer to Texas Wesleyan University, his alma mater. I'd never even considered TWU, even though it is close to home and the sociology department is one of the finest. Well, I prayed about applying and decided to give it a try. You see, since I hadn't done well at UTA, I figured that no other college would accept me. The application process was a bit unnerving. I had to request a transcript from my previous colleges--and looking at the transcript from UTA was painful. But I kept hearing God say He was making a way for me. A couple of weeks went by and I received a letter from TWU. They were still trying to decide whether to admit me or not. They wanted a statement from me-- a one page letter telling something about myself, my accomplishments, my hopes and dreams. I don't recall exactly what I put in the letter, but I decided to be as real and transparent as I could. The thought that came to mind was "to thine own self be true". I looked at my life with a critical but fair eye. I admitted to myself first that there are areas where I am/was weak. I admitted to myself first, the mistakes I'd made and my shortcomings. Then, I asked God to show me a more excellent way. I looked at ways that I could strengthen my weaknesses and overcome my shortcomings. I gave them a short intro of who I am--a hard worker, a single mother, employed full-time with the same company for 7 years ( at that time ), and that I'd returned to TCC and had made decent grades. I admitted that I hadn't done well while at UTA, however I had been working hard over the last 2 years--holding full time employment, being a single mom, and attending school. I was convinced that I could continue to do well if I were allowed the opportunity to attend TWU. I ended the letter with a quote from Michael Jordan. This quote moved me--it explain my situation in a nutshell and gave me hope to move forward. I'd found it while composing the letter and it has helped me to keep my head up over the last 2 years. Mike said, "You have to expect things of yourself before you can do them." This was a very powerful statement to me because I came to realize that if I am to attain my dream of achieving a college degree, first I need to BELIEVE that it can happen, and second EXPECT that I can do it.
Well, my letter convinced the board at TWU to give me a shot. I received a phone call about 3 weeks later that I'd been accepted as a transfer student to Texas Wesleyan. I shared this information with my brother the next day. It was to be the last good news I shared with him before he passed away one week later. Bittersweet.
Even though I lost my brother, my best friend, my confidant....I knew that I still had to attend TWU. He would want me to. He knew my struggle in college and my heart's desire to return and finish my degree. He was proud of me...and he said so.
Now, it's 2009. I have completed 27 college hours. I have made A's, B's and couple of C's and have a GPA of 3.85 in my major. I am taking 12 hours this semester--which means that in May I will have a total of 39 hours--6 hours shy of the 45 hours needed by transfer students for graduation. TWU has a stipulation that if a senior is within 6-8 hours of graduation in the Spring, said senior may participate in the ceremony in May. Guess what y'all?!!
SAID SENIOR (that's me) IS WALKING IN MAY!!!
I can finish the last 6 required hours in the summer. Now, everything is not official yet. I have to pass the 12hours I'm taking now and make sure that any fees, etc. are paid in full. But, I firmly believe that if God brings me to it, He will see me through it! So there it is...my test in my testimony. I started out with many strikes against me, being full of fear, doubt and uncertainty. But I had a dream. And I have a God who makes dreams come to reality, even when you think that the dream is dead. So hold on--be strong--it's only a test!

my dream is yet alive

attaining a Bachelors of Arts and Sciences in Sociology 2009 Texas Wesleyan University, Fort Worth, TX.

simply beautiful
.

No comments: