Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Give Me an Exit!!!

I love it when I learn something new. And I love it even more when I've learned something new about myself. And I am ever so grateful for the lesson. It means I'm growing and maturing ... moving from milk to meat. I've learned that I am a conqueror and I am an overcomer. Yes, I said it! So here is my story--there is an issue that I've struggled with in the past---it left me but it's come back for about the last 12 months--off and on-- it comes, lingers and it goes. Suddenly, yesterday it hit me hard. I wanted so much to just slide into what feels good and familiar...but I knew it would be the wrong thing to do. I knew that if I did it just once, I would be doing it again and again. I wanted to pray about it...but at the same time I didn't want to pray about it. I wanted to just do it. Besides that, I was afraid that I'd pray, slide into it,and then have to pray again to repent--like I've done so many times before. See, you have to understand. I know me. The carnal me. The me that wants to do what I want, when I want, how I want, where I want, and how long I want. Even though it was a struggle to pray, I had to do something. I was sinking fast..so I simply asked God "GIVE ME AN EXIT!!" His word says "But when you are tempted, he will also give you the ability to endure the temptation and (He will provide) a way of escape." 1 Cor 10:13 . God will honor his Word. When I called out to Him, I was able to overcome temptation and go to sleep. I felt really good this morning knowing that I didn't give in to my issue. On my way to work this morning, a thought occurred to me...GOD IS BIGGER THAN MY PROBLEMS. It's not like I didn't know that already--I just hadn't taken the time to let it marinate. As I begin to reflect on it and ask myself...If God is bigger than this issue-- then isn't He bigger than my other issues and concerns? Like, my finances? Love life? Family relationships? School? Work? Church? Career? Recreation?
Yep. He's big enough to handle al'at!! I can hear Him telling me, 'Cast your cares on me for I care for you' (my paraphrase from 1 Peter 5:7). I learned that whatsoever ( I just love that word!!) there is that I care about, He cares about, too. No matter how large, nor how small.
So here's my word of encouragement to you: When faced with a situation that will compromise you-- break you- shake you, and take you off course-
If the issue dismays you- delays you- tried to slay you--
or cause you to fall-- simply give God a call.
"God--Give me an exit!!"

No comments: